1. The Universe is nothing without life, and all that lives takes nourishment.
- 2. Beasts feed, man eats: the man of intellect knows how to eat.
- 3. The fate of nations hangs upon their choice of food.
- 4. Tell me what you eat: I will tell you what you are
- 5. The Creator, who made man such that he must eat to live, causes him to eat by means of appetite, and, for a reward gives him the pleasure in eating.
- 6. Gourmandism is an act of judgement, by which we give preference to things which are agreeable to our taste over those which have not that quality
The Physiology of Taste